If you want to change any of the default settings related to handling of operations (like changing default tolerance angular dimensions) in ProE,then you should change the default value and save it to the Config.pro file. The following steps need to be followed for modifying the Config.pro file:
- Open Pro Engineer.
- Go to Tools>Options, and the Options dialog box will open.
- Settings from the most recently loaded Config.pro will be displayed there.
- You can modify any of already displayed settings by clicking the Value field.
- To know all the possible options can be changed, click the Find button and the Find option dialog box will open as below:
- Put ‘_’ in the keyword field and click Find Now.
- The list of all possible settings will appear with default value and description.
- Change the desired setting
- Click on Add/Change.
- The option will be added to the list in the main option window.
- Click Apply and OK.
- Notice the path of storage at top left corner of the Options window. It should be either to the ProE load point directory or your login directory or ProE working directory.
For example, if you change the value of prompt_on_exit from no to yes then you will see that ProE will prompt you to save the unsaved data before exiting.
The Config.win file needs to be changed only if you want to add/remove some of the icons from the Pro Engineer default GUI. For example, you may think of adding Erase not displayed icon permanently to your ProE GUI. For changing Config.win, the following steps need to be followed:
- Open Pro Engineer.
- Go to Tools>Customize screen, and the Customize window will open like below:
- Pick the desired icon from the Command tab of this window and place to the ProE GUI.
- For changing other GUI settings like width of ProE GUI, etc. go to Other tab and select suitable options.
- Notice the Config.win file saving path at the bottom of the Customize window.
- The Config.win file should be either to the ProE load point directory or your login directory or ProE working directory.
How ProE reads ProE Config options files at startup
If a particular option is present in Config files of more than one of the above locations then ProE will consider the latest one to be executed. For example, if you place a Config.pro file in ProE load point directory, in which prompt_on_exit value is yes. And one more Config.pro file in your login directory, in which prompt_on_exit value is no. Then, your ProE won’t prompt for saving file while exiting.
- First Pro Engineer reads Config.pro & Config.win files from ProE load point directory (normally, C:\Program Files\proeWildfire 2.0\text\).
- Next, Pro Engineer reads ProE Config files from your login directory (For me it is C:\Documents and Settings\ons\My Documents\).
- Last, ProE reads Config.pro &Config.win from Pro Engineer working directory.
Config.pro and Config.win files are very important for customizing the looks and feels of ProE. Examples explained in this ProE tutorial are typical and you can explore many such ProE Config options along the same line.
- Modeling strategy for 3D CAD software: It is very likely that when you will get something to design using any 3D CAD software, you will jump to start the work, but I would like to suggest you that before starting your actual modeling spend some time thinking about design intent and chalk out a modeling strategy first. We will discuss in details about modeling strategy and what it exactly mean.
- Some important tips to speed up your modeling in pro-engineer: When you are working with some real time design project of pro engineer, you will always be failing short of time; always you will be having delivery schedule pressure. We will discuss some of the pro engineer modeling tips which will help you work efficiently with pro engineer.