Installing Window AC or Room AC
In the previous articles of this series we saw the various parts of the window air conditioner, working of the window air conditioner and how this AC can be used as the heat pump. This last article in the series describes installation of the window AC.
Let us suppose that you have found that the most suitable air conditioner for your room is the window air conditioner. The installation of the window air conditioner is very important. If this is not done properly you won’t get the desired cooling effect and the machine may make lots of noise. The installation of the window air conditioner has to be done as per the manufacturer’s instructions and by an expert person. Before seeing the actual process of installation, let us see some important tips for installing the window air conditioner.
Tips for Installing the Window Air Conditioner
Here are some important tips to remember before installing window air conditioner:
1) Install the window air conditioner on the largest wall of the room that is exposed to the external atmosphere. Doing this ensures uniform distribution of the chilled air inside the room.
2) The height of the window AC inside the room should be about 75 cm to 120 cm from the floor. This will allow the flow of the fresh chilled within the room such that the maximum cooling effect would be utilized by the occupants inside the room. If the height of the window AC is too high, lots of cooling effect of the air will be used to cool the ceiling of the room.
3) Keep the high current point ready before the installation around the location where the window AC will be installed.
4) You can install the window AC either in the wall of the room or the window. If you are installing the unit in the window make sure that the window is large enough and strong enough to bear the weight of the window AC.
Installation of the Window AC
Steps for Installation of the Window Air Conditioner
Here are the steps for the installation of the window air conditioner:
1) Remove the AC from box: Firstly, remove the window air conditioner from the box along with the cabinet cover or casing. The AC is enclosed inside the casing, so it has to be removed from it.
2) Making the hole in the wall or window: It is the hole in the wall or the window where the window AC will be installed. The dimensions of the hole should be as per the size of the unit mentioned in the manufacturer’s instruction manual.
3) Leveling the wall or window, fitting the wooden frame: The hole that has been made in wall is quite uneven, and it should be made a plain surface by plastering it. Along the sides of the hole, the wooden frame is constructed. The whole weight of the air conditioner is supported by this wooden frame; hence it should be thick enough to bear the whole weight. If the unit is being installed in the window, the wooden frame can be fitted directly on the main frame of the modified window. In some cases people may construct the iron frame around the window, but it may produce some vibrations and noise. Before fitting the casing of the window air conditioner make sure that the frame fitted in the wall is strong and rigid enough to support the weight of the whole air conditioner.
In certain cases, where the wall or the window of the room are not strong enough to bear the weight of the whole AC, external caging made up of the iron is provided and it is supported from the back by the external bracket connected to the floor. In some cases the external caging is provided to ensure the additional security for the building.
The steps 2 & 3 of making the hole in the wall and fitting the frame should be preferably done before purchasing the AC so that when you bring the AC, it can be fitted directly into the hole.
4) Fitting the cabinet cover or casing: Fitting the casing of the window air conditioner is another important step. The whole air conditioner fits inside this casing, hence if it not fitted properly; the whole assembly would fall-of behind the wall leading to unexpected destruction of the machinery and also human casualties. The casing of the window air conditioner lies completely outside the room and behind the wall or window where the unit is to be fitted.
The casing of the window AC is fitted to the wooden frame connected to the wall or the window. In some cases the casing can also be fitted directly to the wall. To whatever the casing is fitted, one should ensure that the casing has been fitted strongly.
One important thing that should be taken care of while fitting the casing is the angle at which it has to be fitted. The casing is tilted by a very small angle of about 2 to 3 degrees backwards to ensure that all the dew water collected on the cooling coil is collected at the back. At the back of the AC is the drain pan from where the water is drained out.
5) Sliding the Window AC: Now that the most important part of fitting the casing is done, you can pick up the window AC with the help of two to three people and simply slide it into the casing fitted in the wall. Next, fit the external grill on the end of the window AC and connect the AC to the electrical point. The window AC is now ready to be started for your comfort.
Important Points to Remember while Installing the Window AC
Here are some important points to remember while installing the window AC also called as room AC.
1) Make sure that the wall or the window on which the window AC will be installed is strong enough to bear the weight of the AC.
2) The wooden frame connected to the wall or the window should be strong enough so as to bear the weight of the AC and it should be rigid enough so that the AC won’t vibrate.
3) The condenser releases the heat to the atmosphere and the condenser fan draws air from the sides of the window AC and throws it from the front side. Hence one should ensure that sufficient place is available behind the wall or window where AC is to be fitted. Behind the wall or window, there should be at least 30 cm of free space along the sides and at least two meters behind condenser. If sufficient space around and behind the condenser is not available, proper cooling of the refrigerant inside the condenser won’t occur and the AC won’t be able to give proper cooling effect.
4) While deciding the location of the window AC one should also look for the buildings located outside the wall. The heat radiated from the sun and the surrounding buildings tend to increase the temperature of the air around the condenser, reducing the effectiveness of the air conditioner. This problem usually occurs in hot climates.
5) Don’t install the window AC near the heating equipments or the entrance or in the corner. All these will lead to the loss of the precious cooling effect.
6) Make sure that the power with specified current and voltage ratings is available near the window AC. If the cables connected to the AC have lower current rating they may burnout leading stoppage of the AC and the lighting connected to the same power line.
1) Book: Basic Refrigeration and Air Condtioning by P N Ananthanarayanan, Tata McGraw-Hill Pubishing Company Limited, Second Edition, page no. 213
3) Home Tips
This post is part of the series: What is Room Air Conditioner? Window Air Conditioners.
- Parts of the Window Air Conditioners: Part One
- Parts of the Window Air Conditioners: Part Two
- How the Window Air Conditioner Works?
- Window Air Conditioner used as the Heat Pump
- How to Install Window Air Conditioner?