A concrete pump is an important part of any construction project. It is used in transferring liquid concrete by pumping it to the construction site. There are mainly three types of concrete pumps:
- Boom or truck mounted pump
- Trailer, line, or stationary pump
- Specialized usage pump
Let’s briefly look at these three types of pumps.
Boom or Truck Mounted Pump
This type of pump is attached to a truck and uses a remote controlled articulating robotic arm, also known as boom, to place the concrete accurately at the construction site. It is also known as a truck mounted boom pump. Boom pumps are generally used in large construction projects because of its capability of pumping high volume of concrete in less time. It also saves substantial labor because of its multi-purpose robotic arm.
Trailer, line or stationary pump
This type of pump is mounted on a trailer and requires steel or rubber hoses to be attached to the outlet of the machine. The hoses are generally manually attached and can also be joined to another extension hoses to reach the appropriate site where the concrete needs to be put. Trailer pumps pump concrete at a rate lower than that of boom pumps and therefore are used in applications that require smaller volume pumping such as swimming pools, sidewalks, and small homes concrete slabs.
Specialized usage pump
These pumps are specifically made for specialized job sites such as mines and tunnels. They are also skid mounted and rail mounted concrete pumps but are not commonly used due to their high costs and extra specialized mechanism.
Advantages of Concrete pumps.
Following are the advantages of using a concrete pump:
- Concrete pumps are the best option for placing concrete at the construction site at a faster rate.
- Concrete can be placed easily and at a faster rate at inaccessible sites.
- Using specialized concrete pumps reduces the labour as less handling is required since concrete can be placed directly at the desired location.
- Saves man power, energy and over-head costs.
- Concrete placing is not affected by weather conditions
- Reliable and assures high quality work.