- slide 1 of 5
Energy efficiency and energy resource management is very relevant in today's context of global warming and climate change. Energy production is responsible for sixty percent of the worlds Green House Gas emissions. The proposed standard is in line with this requirement to help firms and organizations address and reference energy management issues on a global standard.
- slide 2 of 5
ISO 50001 is also proposed to be in line with ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 standards that address quality management and environmental management issues. Also, it will have the common elements of ISO's management standards like the continual improvement video Plan-Do-Check-Act method adopted in the earlier ISO Management standards.
Implementation of ISO 9001 means what the organization does to fulfill the customer's quality requirements,and applicable regulatory requirements, while aiming to enhance customer satisfaction,
Implementation of ISO 14001 means what the organization does to minimize harmful effects on the environment caused by its activities, and to achieve continual improvement of its environmental performance.
Similarly ISO 50001 implementation is expected to address what the organization does to effectively manage energy resources and performance that is relevant to global standards”.
- slide 3 of 5
Considering the fact that
- Energy production is the main contributor to GHG emissions.
- Energy efficiency is the quickest and cheapest way to reduce CO2 emissions
- Increased cost of Energy resources
- Reduced availability of fossil fuels and other basic sources of energy in the future.
an international standard was a along felt need. Combining technical and strategic management aspects are expected to give this standard wide acceptability.
- slide 4 of 5
The standard is expected to address issue like:
- measuring, reporting, benchmarking energy use improvements.
- assess energy improvement projects impact on GHG emissions.
- create transparency in the management of energy resources.
- evaluate the improvements in implementation of energy efficient technologies.
- validate continuous improvement in energy management.
- promoting a framework for efficient use of energy in the organization.
- helping organizations make a better use of their energy assets.
- helping in procurement practices for energy using equipment and systems.
- emphasis management's commitment to energy use and efficiency.
- slide 5 of 5
Initiated by Brazil and the US, ISO 50001 is scheduled to be released by end 2010. The standards are to be based on good practices and existing standards in various countries.