Let us discuss about the procedure for taking over as 2nd engineer in a different ship as you just sign-in and the duties to be performed as you take charge
During Sign On
Report to Chief Engineer and Master as you sign-on the ship.
Meet the out going Second Engineer and go through the following records:
- 2nd engineer’s work done book as it mentioned the work done by the Second Engineer during his voyage time.
- Oil record book .
- Machinery maintenance book.
- Oil record book.
- Spares inventory record book.
- ROB(Reserved on board) of fuel oil, lube oil and chemical record.
- LSA( Life saving Appliances) and FFA ( Fire Fighting Appliances)maintenance record book.
- Saturday routine book.
- Engine Room Defective list it contain the list of Faulty items on the Engine room.
- Spare requisition (record of emergency spares) it has to be ordered to the company for the new spare for maintenance and replacement.
- Finished plans and operating manuals.
- Engine room log book.
These are the Entries of log book which has to be checked first from the relieving Second Engineer.
- Go through the handing out report with out going second engineer and ask any doubt.
- Special standing instruction by chief engineer.
- PMS outstanding maintenance.
- Take rounds of engine room –familiarize.
- Know all emergency exits.
- Know your emergency station.
- Check all fire detectors.
- Know the special tools location.
- Visual inspection of main engine, boiler, Generator , OWS and incinerator.
- Visual inspection of tank tops and pipe lines condition.
- Visual inspect of motors, lightning and electrical appliances.
- Check bilge pumps and ship side valve.
- Visual inspection of steering flat and steering gear condition.
- Emergency steering procedure.
- Local manoeurving procedure of main engine.
- Check emergency fire pump, emergency generator and emergency compressor.
- Life boat condition and test the life boat engine.
- Check boiler area and if it is not being used for cargo discharge then a few safety cut outs to be tested and check gauge glass.
- Inspect the fix fire fighting system and know the checks to be made and check pat records.
- Know the bunker lines and valves.
- Fuel and lube oil tanks location and quantity.
- Check a few UMS alarms.
- Get to know sub-ordinates and their responsibilities.
- Know the performance of the ship staff from out going second engineer.