Data stored in VDR
A VDR stores wide variety of data, everything necessary for an investigation of any situation which hinders the safety of the ship or crew or the environment. The data stored are as follows:
1. Position of the vessel, Date and Time. Usually reference taken from UTC ( Universal Time co-ordinate or coordinated universal time), usually from GPS.
2. Speed on water and speed over ground.
3. Audio recorded over VHF radio communications
4. Course of the vessel from Gyro compass.
5. Data from radar or Automatic Identification System (AIS)
6. Depth under Keel, taken from echo sounder.
7. Bridge audio for common internal communications capable of recording even in bridge wings.
8. All important IMO mandatory alarms.
9. Any weather tight and water tight hull opening status.
10. Fire door status.
11. Engine order and rudder order with response,
12. Wind speed and wind direction,
13. Hull stresses and corresponding Load/buoyancy curve,
14. Propeller and Thruster direction and RPM. Etc.