Duties of a Chief Officer
The Chief Officer must be proficient in myriad functions. The main ones are:
· Incharge of cargo operations including loading, discharging, securing and care during voyage
· Incharge of ship stability
· Incharge of deck crew discipline and welfare
· Incharge of all deck, deck machinery and accommodation maintenance
· Incharge of the ballast system, layout and maintenance of tanks and pumping arrangements.
· Incharge of ensuring watertight integrity of the vessel, ensuring there are no leaks.
· Incharge at key location during emergencies like fire, grounding, man overboard, collision, oil spill etc
· Incharge of waste disposal and management.
· Incharge of his independent watch at sea
· Key person in the communications (with shore) system on board.
· Key person in the ship security management system
· Key person in ship’s management structure, along with the Chief Engineer.
· Key person during manoeuvring, anchoring, coming alongside a berth and during any critical shiphandling.