Elements and Metals used to Produce Alloys
Nickel is one of the most common elements combining easily with most metals and elements, creating an alloy resistant to acid and chemical corrosion, and promoting good thermal properties. When added to copper produces the alloy copper/nickel (cuni) and when alloyed with chrome produces different grades of stainless steel alloys.
Nickel is the main element in the production of superalloys such as incoloy and inconel that have very high resistance to erosion, corrosion, high temperatures, and pressures.
Added to produce an alloy, and increasing its hardness, resistant to corrosion, and erosion.
Used to induce corrosion resistance, e.g. alloyed with zinc and tin to produce the alloy bronze, or with nickel to produce cuni.
A relatively new element can be used in its basic form due to its weight/strength ratio. It is added to an alloy to increase its strength and use at very high temperatures, as well as improving its corrosion resistance to chemicals and acids.
Used to give the alloy strength at high temperatures.
Zinc is added to aluminum and copper in various quite high percentages to improve the properties of hardness and creep of the respective alloys. It is also used in large quantities to galvanize thin steel sheets for use in HVAC duct fabrication and process pipes against corrosion. This treatment is known as "hot dipped galvanizing."
Silicon is added to deoxygenate the alloy.
Aluminum alloys are used offshore for many structural applications due to their strength and lightness, so they are worthy of a mention before we leave this section. They are produced using small percentages of most of the above elements, usually totaling about 0.5%, the other 99.5% being base aluminum.
Reference Web: megamex - elements used as alloys