The engine turns on air but does not run on fuel
In this case the engine is turning on air, but does not pick up on fuel. You try giving a longer kick and put the fuel lever at a higher notch, but still the generator stops. The starting air pressure is now low and the air low pressure alarm is sounding. All the compressors have started automatically and are running continuously. You are waiting for the pressure to build up and try yet again. Well if such is the case you need to stop and investigate the reasons for the failure to start. They could be one of the following:
1. Fuel does not reach the fuel injection pump because there is air in the system.
2. The fuel oil filters are choked.
3. The fuel line valve is not open.
4. The trips have been not reset after the last stopping.
5. Fuel oil service tank is at low level. Beware the other generator is also going to stop.
6. There is water in the line.
7. The fuel valves are faulty and not giving proper atomization or are choked.
8. The fuel pump timing is wrong.
9. Leaking fuel injection pipes.
10. Seized plungers of the fuel pumps.
11. Fuel rack linkage stuck in position.
12. Seized delivery valves or broken plunger springs in injection pump.
13. The engine is cold.