The Main Components of any type of rotary pump are:
1. Pumping chamber - Pumping chamber of the rotary pump is the area which contains the pumped fluid when the pump is pumping. Fluid may enter the pump through one or more ports and can leaves through one or more outlet ports.
2. Casing - It is that part of the pump which surrounds the pumping chamber. It is also referred to as the housing,body or stator of the pump.
3. End plates - They serve to close off the ends of the body so as to form integral part of the pumping chamber. These plates can also be referred as the end covers.
4. Rotating assembly - It refers to all the moving parts inside the pump. The moving parts generally comprises of a driver and driving shaft. The driver shaft is turned by the motor and the driver is turned by the driving shaft.
5. Seal chamber - The cavity through which the driving shaft comes out or protrudes is called seal chamber and the leakage through this chamber is controlled either by a mechanical seal or by a normal packing material.
6. Seal -The seal can either be a mechanical seal or a normal packing material.The seals used should be leak proof when the pump is pumping any toxic substances. Cooling and lubrication of these seals is done by the same liquid which the pump is pumping
6. Relief valves - They are given so as to control the outlet pressure of the pump. As soon as the pressure increases above the pre-determined value, the relief valve lifts and releases the excess pressure to the inlet port, thus controlling the pressure. The relief valve is generally set 5-10% above the normal working condition.