Benefits of Prototype Testing
The prototype can be considered to be the actual machine which is eventually to be manufactured on large scale basis. The prototype is developed for testing the machine that has been designed recently so as to remove all the faults and shortcomings from the machine before carrying out its production and sending it to the market.
Let us see how the testing of prototype can help:
1) Prototype helps producing acceptable performance.
2) It helps establishing the physical reliability of the system and the components.
3) The prototype helps verify design hypothesis.
4) The prototype helps generating new design information, if any.
5) It helps finding the flaws in the machine.
6) After testing, better design concepts can be developed.
7) The prototype exposes all the difficulties that may have been overlooked in the theoretical design of the product.
8) The test results from the prototype provide convincing evidence.
9) The prototype testing increases the validity of the results.
After carrying out prototype testing the results may be either satisfactory or not satisfactory. If the results are not satisfactory the design is sent back to the preliminary or detailed design stage for feedback to carry out the changes in the design or the specifications and the requirements of the product (see the fig below). The newly designed product is again sent for prototype testing and the results are analyzed. This process of making continuous revisions and improvements to the design will be repeated until the designer is satisfied that the performance specifications are met. Thereafter the designs are sent to the production department for manufacturing the product or machine.