Internal Parts of the Domestic Refrigerator
The internal parts of the refrigerator are ones that carry out actual working of the refrigerator. Some of the internal parts are located at the back of the refrigerator, and some inside the main compartment of the refrigerator. Some internal parts of the domestic refrigerator are (please refer the figure above):
1) Refrigerant: The refrigerant flows through all the internal parts of the refrigerator. It is the refrigerant that carries out the cooling effect in the evaporator. It absorbs the heat from the substance to be cooled in the evaporator (chiller or freezer) and throws it to the atmosphere via condenser. The refrigerant keeps on recirculating through all the internal parts of the refrigerator in cycle.
2) Compressor: The compressor is located at the back of the refrigerator and in the bottom area. The compressor sucks the refrigerant from the evaporator and discharges it at high pressure and temperature. The compressor is driven by the electric motor and it is the major power consuming devise of the refrigerator.
3) Condenser: The condenser is the thin coil of copper tubing located at the back of the refrigerator. The refrigerant from the compressor enters the condenser where it is cooled by the atmospheric air thus losing heat absorbed by it in the evaporator and the compressor. To increase the heat transfer rate of the condenser, it is finned externally.
4) Expansive valve or the capillary: The refrigerant leaving the condenser enters the expansion devise, which is the capillary tube in case of the domestic refrigerators. The capillary is the thin copper tubing made up of number of turns of the copper coil. When the refrigerant is passed through the capillary its pressure and temperature drops down suddenly.
5) Evaporator or chiller or freezer: The refrigerant at very low pressure and temperature enters the evaporator or the freezer. The evaporator is the heat exchanger made up of several turns of copper or aluminum tubing. In domestic refrigerators the plate types of evaporator is used as shown in the figure above. The refrigerant absorbs the heat from the substance to be cooled in the evaporator, gets evaporated and it then sucked by the compressor. This cycle keeps on repeating.
6) Temperature control devise or thermostat: To control the temperature inside the refrigerator there is thermostat, whose sensor is connected to the evaporator. The thermostat setting can be done by the round knob inside the refrigerator compartment. When the set temperature is reached inside the refrigerator the thermostat stops the electric supply to the compressor and compressor stops and when the temperature falls below certain level it restarts the supply to the compressor.
7) Defrost system: The defrost system of the refrigerator helps removing the excess ice from the surface of the evaporator. The defrost system can be operated manually by the thermostat button or there is automatic system comprising of the electric heater and the timer.
Those were the some internal parts of the domestic refrigerator; now let us see the external parts of the refrigerator.