Steps for Installation of the Window Air Conditioner
Here are the steps for the installation of the window air conditioner:
1) Remove the AC from box: Firstly, remove the window air conditioner from the box along with the cabinet cover or casing. The AC is enclosed inside the casing, so it has to be removed from it.
2) Making the hole in the wall or window: It is the hole in the wall or the window where the window AC will be installed. The dimensions of the hole should be as per the size of the unit mentioned in the manufacturer’s instruction manual.
3) Leveling the wall or window, fitting the wooden frame: The hole that has been made in wall is quite uneven, and it should be made a plain surface by plastering it. Along the sides of the hole, the wooden frame is constructed. The whole weight of the air conditioner is supported by this wooden frame; hence it should be thick enough to bear the whole weight. If the unit is being installed in the window, the wooden frame can be fitted directly on the main frame of the modified window. In some cases people may construct the iron frame around the window, but it may produce some vibrations and noise. Before fitting the casing of the window air conditioner make sure that the frame fitted in the wall is strong and rigid enough to support the weight of the whole air conditioner.
In certain cases, where the wall or the window of the room are not strong enough to bear the weight of the whole AC, external caging made up of the iron is provided and it is supported from the back by the external bracket connected to the floor. In some cases the external caging is provided to ensure the additional security for the building.
The steps 2 & 3 of making the hole in the wall and fitting the frame should be preferably done before purchasing the AC so that when you bring the AC, it can be fitted directly into the hole.
4) Fitting the cabinet cover or casing: Fitting the casing of the window air conditioner is another important step. The whole air conditioner fits inside this casing, hence if it not fitted properly; the whole assembly would fall-of behind the wall leading to unexpected destruction of the machinery and also human casualties. The casing of the window air conditioner lies completely outside the room and behind the wall or window where the unit is to be fitted.
The casing of the window AC is fitted to the wooden frame connected to the wall or the window. In some cases the casing can also be fitted directly to the wall. To whatever the casing is fitted, one should ensure that the casing has been fitted strongly.
One important thing that should be taken care of while fitting the casing is the angle at which it has to be fitted. The casing is tilted by a very small angle of about 2 to 3 degrees backwards to ensure that all the dew water collected on the cooling coil is collected at the back. At the back of the AC is the drain pan from where the water is drained out.
5) Sliding the Window AC: Now that the most important part of fitting the casing is done, you can pick up the window AC with the help of two to three people and simply slide it into the casing fitted in the wall. Next, fit the external grill on the end of the window AC and connect the AC to the electrical point. The window AC is now ready to be started for your comfort.