Advantages of Thermistors
Here are some of the advantages of the thermistors
1) When the resistors are connected in the electrical circuit, heat is dissipated in the circuit due to flow of current. This heat tends to increase the temperature of the resistor due to which their resistance changes. For the thermistor the definite value of the resistance is reached at the given ambient conditions due to which the effect of this heat is reduced.
2) In certain cases even the ambient conditions keep on changing, this is compensated by the negative temperature characteristics of the thermistor. This is quite convenient against the materials that have positive resistance characteristics for the temperature.
3) The thermistors are used not only for the measurement of temperature, but also for the measurement of pressure, liquid level, power etc.
4) They are also used as the controls, overload protectors, giving warnings etc.
5) The size of the thermistors is very small and they are very low in cost. However, since their size is small they have to be operated at lower current levels.