Advantages and Disadvantages of the Digital Instruments
These days there is greater trend of using the digital instruments for measurement of all the important quantities like weight, length, temperature, humidity, current, voltage, rpm and even the blood sugar level. There are also digital instruments for measurement of the blood pressure, heart beat rate, and others.
Here are some of the advantages of the digital instruments over the analogue instruments:
1) They are very easy to read.
2) Since there are very few moving parts in the electronic instruments, they are usually more accurate than the analogue instruments. Even the human error involved in reading these instruments is very less, which adds to the accuracy of digital instruments.
3) The electronic items tend to be cheaper than the mechanical items.
4) The data from the instruments can be recorded for future reference.
5) The output of the digital devices can be obtained in the computer
There are also some disadvantages of the digital instruments. Here they are:
1) Sometimes they tend to indicate erratic values due to faulty electronic circuit or damaged display.
2) In case of high humidity and corrosive atmosphere the internal parts may get damaged and indicate the faulty values.
3) Sometimes these instrument show some readings even though there is no applied measurable parameter.
On the whole, the advantages of the digital instruments outdo the disadvantages, which is why they have become highly popular. You can find digital instruments in the cars, air planes, motor cycles, and also in places like air ports, railway stations, public places etc. The digital clocks are one of the most widely used instruments for the personal use and also in public and private places. The trend is towards the digital instruments since they are convenient to use and also have excellent looks. In future their use is sure to increase much more.