- slide 1 of 5
In the previous article we saw the installation of the indoor unit of split AC, now let us see the installation of the outdoor unit. While the indoor unit is light in weight, the outdoor unit is quite heavy since it comprises of the heavy components like the compressor, condenser, fan motor with fan etc. In most of the cases the outdoor unit of split AC has to be installed at certain height so lifting the unit can be a tough task requiring about three to four people.
- slide 3 of 5
Location of the Outdoor Unit of Split AC
We have seen some important points regarding the location of the indoor and the outdoor unit, here we have summarized these points for the outdoor units and have added a few more.
1) Install the outdoor unit on flat rigid surface: The outdoor unit should be installed on the flat rigid or concrete base since it is quite heavy. The unit will vibrate excessively if it is installed on some loose, vibrating or hanging base. If the unit vibrates due to weak base, the compressor and condenser coil will also vibrate, which can lead to the breakage of the copper tubing over certain period of time and leakage of the refrigerant. Inside the vibrating compressor the shaft may get unbalanced leading to its unsymmetrical movement and ultimately burning of the electric coil. Further, the vibrating unit makes lots of noise which could disturb not only your room but also the neighbors.
2) Free flow of air: The outdoor unit should be installed in the open space on the terrace, above the awning of the window or any other convenient location where there is free flow of air. There should not be any hindrance to the flow of air around the outdoor unit. There should not be any blockage to the flow of air in front of the outdoor from where the heat is dissipated by hot air. The unit should be easily accessible for installation, wiring, and carrying out any maintenance works in future. As far as possible the outdoor unit should not be exposed directly to the sun, however, if this cannot be avoided, one can make sunshade to protect it from direct sunlight.
3) No water should collect around outdoor unit: The location of the outdoor unit should be such that during rains, water is not collected around the unit. The large pond of water can drown the parts of the unit and destroy them. Even the small level of water collected around outdoor unit for long time can corrode its body and eventually the internal parts.
4) Don’t install the outdoor unit on the tilted surface: One should avoid installing the outdoor units on the tilted surfaces. The outdoor unit is quite heavy and if it placed in angular position, there will be unbalanced forces that would increase the vibrations of the unit, which may eventually result in total uprooting of the unit.
5) Installing the outdoor unit on the external wall: The outdoor unit can also be hanged on the external wall on some angle supports. The angles can be fitted on the wall by using special bolts called anchor bolts. On these angles the outdoor unit can be fitted easily and can be accessible conveniently. Make sure that the wall on which the outdoor unit is being fitted is strong enough to bear its weight and vibrations. Installing the outdoor unit on the wall is one of the best available options.
- slide 4 of 5
Steps for the Installation of the Outdoor Unit of Ductless Split AC
1) First of all, bring the outdoor unit to the location where it has to be installed. This unit is quite heavy, so it should be handled carefully and there should be about two to three people for moving it.
2) Lift the unit to the place where it has to be installed. If the outdoor unit has to be installed on the angles fitted on the wall, make sure that the angles have been fitted properly. Since the unit is too heavy, about three to five people may be needed for lifting it and it should be lifted carefully with proper coordination.
3) Next, the outdoor unit can be fitted at the suitable location. It is can be placed on the rubber bushing and fitted with the anchor bolts to avoid vibrations or it can also be placed directly on the flat rigid surface (since it is quite heavy the chances of its vibrations are very less). The outdoor unit to be fitted on the wall can be fitted directly on the angles by nut and bolts.
With this the installation of the outdoor unit is done. In the next article we shall see the installation of refrigerant tubing and gas charging.
- slide 5 of 5
Installation of Wall Mounted Split Air Conditioners
- Installation of the Split Air Conditioners: Deciding the Location of Indoor and Outdoor Units
- Installation of the Wall Mounted Indoor Unit
- Installation of the Outdoor Unit of Split Air Conditioners
- Installation of the Refrigerant Tubing in Split Air Conditioners
- Gas Charging in Split Air Conditioners